- 4-5 whole small beets, canned, roughly chopped
- 2 cups spring mix
- 1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts
- 2 oz crumbled goat cheese
I recently discovered that I LOVE beets. They always seemed so scary to me as they don’t look terribly appetizing :) But one day I was at Stella in the South End with my boyfriend and he urged me to try them paired with some goat cheese and greens. Instant love! And they are a serious super food – filled with tons of nutritious benefits.
Most people do not eat enough beets; for all of their healthy properties, they should be a part of our daily diet. In 100 grams this red veggie has only 42 calories, less than 10 grams of carbohydrates, and is thought to be the most perfect form of fiber we can eat. One cup of beets has zero fat of any kind, contains 1.5 grams of protein, 1 mg of iron, 27 mg of calcium, 43 mg of phosphorus, 10 mg of vitamin C, and 4 mg of niacin, sodium, and magnesium, as well as fiber, vitamin A, and biotin. Beets also contain folic acid and other B vitamins, which are recommended for pregnant women as it may lower the risk of birth defects. In the Encyclopedia of Healing Juices, beets and their juice are noted to build up the blood, renew its minerals and natural sugars, and help to detox the liver. Some studies even show that betaine, an amino acid found in beets, can help prevent coronary and cerebral artery disease and that beet juice and powder have slowed the development of cancerous tumors in some patients. Beet greens have been shown to contain high levels of iron, vitamins A and C, and calcium.
(via Off The Grid News)
This salad is easy to make in about 5 minutes….a great after work dinner salad if you’re too lazy to cook :)
- Wash spring mix and pat dry with a paper towel. Spread on a dinner plate as your salad base.
- Top the salad first with the beets, then the chopped walnuts and finally the crumbled goat cheese.
- Drizzle with a balsamic-based dressing, or something sweet like Ken’s Raspberry Walnut dressing. (Oils are better vs. creamy dressing for this salad!)
Happy (easy) Eats!