- 4 sweet potatoes, 1 1/2 diced and 2 1/2 roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 large Vidalia onion, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp dash soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dash ground ginger
- 1 + 1/3 cup light cream
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 10 oz whole kernel corn, drained
- 10 oz can creamed corn
- Salt + pepper to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, boil the 1 diced sweet potato in lightly salted water for about 8 – 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In large stock pot, melt the butter and saute the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery for 5 minutes. Add the 2 1/2 roughly chopped sweet potatoes and saute for 10 additional minutes.
- Add the 5 cups of vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, then reduce soup to a simmer. Continue to simmer soup until potatoes are fork-soft (approx 30-35 mins)
- Mix in the soy sauce, red wine vinegar, ground ginger, light cream, brown sugar, crushed red pepper flakes, coriander and 1/2 of the cream corn can. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup contents either using a hand blender or in batches using an upright blender.
- Return the pureed soup to the stock pot and stir in the rest of the creamed corn, the reserved boiled sweet potatoes, and the whole kernel corn. Simmer soup for another 20 minutes, stirring a few times, then remove from heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy this delicious soup with toppings like sour cream or fresh shredded extra sharp cheddar for an additional tasty treat :)