- 1 cup chopped parsnips
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped butternut squash
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, whole
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 12 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in the bottom of a large stock pot. Simmer onions in oil for about 5-8 minutes.
- Add 12 cups of water to the pot and bring to a boil. Add in the two bouillon cubes, stirring frequently until dissolved.
- Add all vegetables, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaves, and parsley. Return to a boil.
- Boil all ingredients for 10 minutes, then reduce to a moderate simmer (low-medium heat). Leave the top off the stock pot as you want some of the water to boil off and reduce to lock in the flavor.
- Simmer uncovered for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour broth through strainer or cheese cloth to remove all the vegetables, peppercorns, garlic and bay leaves.
- Enjoy your fresh made vegetable stock!
Here are a few of my recipes that use the vegetable stock: