While mayo is not one of my favorite things in the world, I find that using a very light amount of it with this chicken salad is really good. I love Helman’s new Mayo with olive oil for this yummy lunch.
This meal is part of the “One Shopping List for Multiple Meals” project I am starting on my blog. It goes with other recipes that involve chicken and many of the major ingredients. This pita goes well with a spinach side salad for a filling and fairly healthy lunch! Click here for a complete shopping weekly shopping list for chicken.
For a really moist salad, I recommend brining your chicken ahead of time.
Chicken Cutlet Brine
Enough for 1 medium – large chicken cutlet.
Dissolve 1/2 tbsp of table salt in 1/2 cup of water in a container or large zipper-lock bag. Submerge cutlet, cover with plastic wrap or seal bag, and refrigerate 30 minutes. Rinse cutlet under cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towels and prepare as you normally would.
- 1 chicken breast cutlet, cubed and cooked (brined first if possible!)
- 1 teaspoon chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped raw walnuts (I recommend toasting them – here’s a link)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon poppyseed salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar, white vinegar or tarragon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 pita pocket (syrian bread)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, washed
- 1/4 cup fresh halved grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar / vinaigrette
- Combine mayonnaise, olive oil and poppy seed dressing in medium mixing bowl.
- Take all sandwich ingredients and combine in a mixing bowl until all elements are coated in dressing mixture.
- Cut pita pocket in half and fill each side with chicken mixture. (I recommend toasting the pita pocket for a bit before you fill it if you can).
- Toss spinach, tomatoes and crumbled feta in salad bowl with balsamic vinegar / vinaigrette.
A happy, relatively healthy lunch. You can double or triple this recipe and keep the chicken salad in your fridge for up to 5 days.