That being said, last night I FINALLY found some time prepare something new that I’ve been wanting to make for a while. It turned out to be even more delicious than I imagined – STUFFED ZUCCHINI! The combination of the onions, garlic, tomatoes and feta cheese make for a delightful way to dress up regular old zucchini.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 medium sized zucchinis
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- Salt and Pepper(to taste)
- Fill medium sized pot with water and bring to a boil
- Cut zucchini’s in half long-ways and boil in water until soft (not mushy- about 7-8 mins)
- When zucchini’s are finished, lay on plate and scoop out center pulp with a spoon, creating a boat-like pocket. Set aside on a dish.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in skillet over medium heat
- Add chopped onions and garlic to oil and simmer for 5-7 minutes (you want them to brown but not burn)
- Add diced tomatoes, pinch of salt and pinch of pepper to skillet and stir in with onions and garlic for 1 minute.
- Add feta into skillet mixture and toss. Remove from heat so cheese doesn’t melt.
- Spoon skillet mixture into zucchini boats. I sprinkled them with extra pepper because I like spice, but you don’t have to!
A happy, relatively healthy snack to share :)